Tuesday, December 22, 2015

"No Matter What": A New Year (part 2)



CHAPTER 3 – A NEW YEAR (continued)

            These things might have kept me on the margins of a few conversations, but these disparities were nothing compared to the difference in transportation.  Kids at our church had used BMWs and Mercedes, brand-new Mazdas and Toyotas, or full custom pickups and SUVs.  I drove (when I could get it) my dad’s brown 1983 Oldsmobile.  Most of the time, I went around like a beggar, asking people for rides.

            I didn’t have to beg for rides from my youth group much, because I was usually with my parents, but it was an everyday struggle at school.  Basketball was the last period of the day, and we never got out in time to catch the bus, so I was stuck without a way to get home.  No one wanted to commit to driving me home on a daily basis, so every afternoon contained the humiliating quest to find a willing friend to take me home.
*  *  *  *  *
            “It sucks, Dad,” I said, as we talked about it on the way home from a grocery store run on the last day of summer.  “I know there’s nothing we can do about it, but I feel like an idiot every day.”


            I was trying hard not to sound like I was whining about not having a car.  It was just the reality of the situation, and that was fine with me.  But if there was one thing I loathed the thought of doing, it was to bother someone with “me”—to subject someone to my presence when they’d really rather I just go away.  The worst part about the ride thing was that people will help out of pity, and so I could never know who really didn’t mind bringing me home and who was secretly annoyed by the imposition.
             “I guess that’s why I can’t call people,” I said, “It’s sort of the same thing.  How do I know whether they really want to talk or if they’re sitting on the other end, waving the phone around, silently begging me to shut up and let them go?”
            Dad thought for a moment, then cracked a small grin.  “By ‘calling people,’ do you mean ‘calling girls’?” he asked.
            I stuttered for a moment before I answered.  Dad didn’t usually so boldly charge into the subject of girls like that.  “No, I really mean everyone, Dad.  But especially girls, I guess.”
            Dad laughed a little.  “I know it’s tough to talk to girls.  Give yourself time.”
            I shifted in my seat to turn toward him.  “You know, it’s not that hard at school.  I don’t really know why.  Maybe it’s because there’s always something going on around us to talk about or make a joke about or something.  Maybe it’s just that I can see their real reaction.  I don’t know.  It’s more natural.”
            “You know, you don’t have to pressure yourself to do anything more than that,” he said.  “You’re a long ways from really being ready to look for a wife.”
            “Come on, Dad, I’m sixteen years old, and I’ve never even been on a date!  I feel like a loser.”
            “You don’t have to prove yourself to anybody, son, and if you start dating a girl just to prove something to yourself, you’re doing it for the wrong reasons.”
            I wanted to object, but Dad wasn’t direct like this very often, so I sat there and listened in a sort of a stunned silence. 
            “And you’ll be looking for the wrong things.  It’ll make you feel good about yourself if you can get a girl that everyone thinks is beautiful to go out with you, but then your relationship is about how pretty she is.  She’s going to be worried about how she looks all the time, and she’ll always be looking for you to tell her how beautiful she is.  You don’t want ‘the prettiest girl in school’ as your girlfriend.”
            But it really didn’t matter what my dad told me.  I did want the prettiest girl in school as my girlfriend, because there was nothing I wanted more than to be around Nicole Ellis as much as possible.
*  *  *  *  *
            The school year always began with “home room,” which were the “classes” (they were really just alphabetical groupings with other kids from our grade) we had for state testing and official things like getting our schedules.  I knew I was going to have basketball to end the day, but the rest of the schedule was a crapshoot.  You didn’t want something really important first period before you woke up.
            I had a second issue on my mind as well as I looked at my schedule.  For most subjects, we could choose whether to take the “regular” level or an “advanced” level.  Although most of my teachers were disappointed I didn’t go for all advanced levels, I liked to pick and choose.  If I liked a subject or mastered it fairly easily, I didn’t mind working hard at it.  But other subjects were tedious enough without adding endless projects, reading assignments, and papers.
            My sophomore year, I found that I had the same mix of advanced and regular classes as Nicole, as well as the same elective (Spanish) and a varsity sports period (basketball for me, cheerleading for her) to finish the day.  Consequently, we had a lot of classes together last year.  So when it came time to choose classes for our junior year, I used what little influence I had as a friend to convince her to go ahead with Spanish II and to stick with advanced math (both because I thought she should and because I wanted her in my classes).
             So as I looked at my schedule that morning, I silently hoped that I would have every class with her until we parted ways for our sports.
            I arrived in first period (advanced history), and, alas, it was not to be.  I ended up sitting behind another cheerleader named Shannon, who was the girlfriend of one of my teammates, but was friendly and fun to be around, too.
            Second period came, and there was Nicole, with an open seat next to her.  She made eye contact and smiled, seeming to invite me to come sit by her.  I wasn’t nervous around her at school any more.  In this setting, we were friends—good friends, even.  But as we stopped our short greeting and class began, my heart started to ache.  The words of the Letter started running through my mind again.
            “So how many classes do you have with her?” Roger asked me.  It was the weekend now, and we were hanging out in his room the night before he was leaving to go back to school.  I had been telling him about how Nicole and I had been laughing together in Spanish class about our teacher.
            “Only two.”  My synchronized schedule plot had failed, but we did sit next to each other in both classes.
            “Let me ask you something…”  Roger’s voice became softer and he looked straight at me.  I dreaded what was coming.  He hadn’t mentioned the Letter since he skidded the envelope across the table to me the day it was returned.  “What was in that letter you wrote to her, anyway?”
            “It was just a really stupid love letter,” I mumbled.  “God saved my life when he made me write down the wrong address.”
            “What did it say?”
            I was a little annoyed.  Why did Roger need to know?  But I never really hid much from my brother.  I wanted to make a joke about it, but I couldn’t come up with anything funny to say.  Finally, with a sigh and a shrug, I said, “I guess I told her how I feel about her and asked her out.”
            “What did you say about that?”
            “I said we could go to Astroworld and an Astros game.”
            “No… about how you feel.  What did you say in the letter?”
            “That’s the worst part.  I told her that I love her.  She would be totally weirded out if she…”
            Roger interrupted: “Why did you say that?  You don’t love her!”
            “What do you know about it?”  I was getting irritated.  “How can you say I don’t love her?”
            “You don’t even really know her!  You’ve just been obsessed with…”
            “It’s different than before!”  I raised my voice to interrupt him, then slumped back into his couch and stared at the ceiling.  “I’ve spent a lot of time with her in class over the last year.  We’ve talked, and…”
            “There’s a difference between making someone laugh in class and really knowing someone, for one thing,” Roger interjected.  “And there’s a huge difference between loving someone and having the hots for her.”
            “But it’s not just that,” I said, grasping for the words to describe what I felt.  “I don’t just have the ‘hots’ for her, because I don’t really think of her like that… I mean, I do… but it’s different.”
            “What are you talking about?”
            “I mean, it’s not like I just want her, you know?”  I said.  “I guess you could say I think she’s ‘hot,’ but that’s not all I feel about her.  I care about her, you know?  I’m attracted to her physically, but it’s not like I just want to have sex with her or anything like that...  I mean… the thought of actually having sex with anyone terrifies me.  I just want to be with her, to care for her, to hold her.  What is that if that’s not love?”
            “I don’t know, man.” Roger was silent for a couple of minutes as we both stared into space.  “But she hasn’t let you into her life to do anything but laugh at the Spanish teacher together.”
            I sat up and looked at him.  “I know, but I want more than that.”
            Roger looked at me.  “Hey, I’m not saying that you don’t feel something special for her.  I think you do.  But you don’t love her.  Not yet.”  He paused rubbed his fingers in his hair like he always did when he was thinking.  “I’ve been thinking about this since I knew you wrote the letter.”
            As much as I hated it that anyone knew about the letter, there was a sense of relief to hear someone else give thoughts about the thing that had tortured me for weeks.
            “I think when you love someone,” he continued, “it’s less about what you feel as much as it is about what you give.  I can’t see how she’s given you a chance to really give her anything she really needs or wants.”
            I want her to want ME, I protested inwardly.  I want to give her ME.
            “I don’t know if you can love somebody if you’re not part of her life.”

No comments: